“I’ve always had the bug to invent and I’ve always rattled around ideas. I didn’t want to be the guy with regret, saying I had all these ideas and I never did anything about them.” -Mike Mazzocco, USMA ‘93
Mike Mazzocco graduated from West Point in 1993 and is the Founder of the MazzTech Group. The MazzTech Group is comprised of creative engineers and personnel that invent innovative products to solve common problems. They develop functional products and bring them to market using a repeatable and scalable manufacturing process. One of their latest inventions is the Stake Rake, a rake with innovative technology that deploys a stake with the flick of a wrist and effortlessly stands the rake upright. The Stake Rake decreases back strain and significantly reduces the risk of losing, tripping or stepping on the rake by not having to bend over to pick it up.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- How to patent your idea
- How to find a manufacturer for your product idea
- How to know when to invest in your idea and when to walk away
- Networks you can join to connect with other inventors
- Patent It Yourself: Your Step-by-Step Guide to Filing at the U.S. Patent Office
- Invent It, Sell It, Bank It!: Make Your Million-Dollar Idea into a Reality by Lori Greiner
- United Inventors Association
Words of Wisdom
Mike ordered his first 5000 rakes only after getting lots of positive feedback at trade shows and from potential customers about his product idea. He also chose a manufacturer and ordered the right quantity of rakes that allowed him to buy the rakes at a lower price-point so he could sell them profitably.
Connect with Mike
If you found this episode valuable, please share it with a friend or colleague. If you are a Service Academy graduate and want to take your business to the next level, you can join our supportive community and get started today.
This episode is brought to you by Shopify. Shopify is an e-commerce platform where you can sell online, on social media, or in person. I use Shopify for my online store to sell StrengthsFinder coffee mugs and love it!
To help out the show:
- Leave a review on iTunes. This is a brand new show and your ratings and reviews really help, I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes
Special thanks to Mike for joining me this week. Until next time!
-Scott Mackes, USNA ’01