“Our goal is to help companies achieve their business goals faster…the people side is the hardest part of business and the knowledge piece is one of the core components of that people side. How do you document the knowledge that you have? How do you take that knowledge and impart it to the next generation? How do you ensure you can rapidly pass off information as things change? These are all really critical problems and what we’re trying to do is be part of the effort to meet all of these challenges that we see in the world through a learning and development lens.”
-Matthew Gjertsen (USAFA ’05)
Matthew Gjertsen is the Owner and Chief Learning Officer of Better Every Day Studios, which he founded on the idea that excellence is repeatable and can be achieved by anyone. Matthew and his experienced team work with organizations of all sizes across all industries to deliver exceptional learning and development experiences for their employees in order to achieve maximum performance. Prior to starting up Better Every Day Studios, Matthew served in the U.S. Air Force and was the Training and Development Manager for SpaceX.
In this episode, we discuss:
- What Better Every Day does to help companies revolutionize workplace learning and development communications and training programs
- How Matthew’s military service informed the development of his company
- Why transforming learning and development vastly improves business performance
- How we can approach education differently by focusing on outcomes and results rather than high-cost time commitments
- Matthew’s top book recommendations for anyone who is motivated to start a business
Matthew also shares why engaging onboarding processes that speak to employee and client perspectives are so important and why it’s important to pay attention to the emotional benefits of your company. We enjoyed listening to Matthew’s biggest goals and challenges, feel inspired by his passion for learning and education, and hope this episode motivates you to build a better business every day.
Connect with Matthew:
- Better Every Day Studios
- Matthew’s book recommendations:
– Peak: Secrets from the New Science of Expertise by Anders Ericsson
– How Emotions Are Made: The Secret Life of the Brain by Lisa Feldman Barrett
If you found this episode valuable, please share it with a friend or colleague. If you are a Service Academy graduate and want to take your business to the next level, you can join our supportive community and get started today.
Subscribe and help out the show:
- Subscribe on Apple Podcasts
- Also available on Google Podcasts, Spotify & Stitcher
- Leave us a 5-star review!
Special thanks to Matthew for joining me this week. Until next time!
-Scott Mackes, USNA ’01