“The mentality in entrepreneurial real estate of ‘Well, that’s someone else’s job, that’s someone else’s problem.’ That doesn’t exist in my world. If there is an issue or concern… I need to be involved in every step. That way, I can fill the gaps and tie it all together. That type of mental ownership comes from being a Military Officer.” -Curtis Cullen, USMA ‘09
Curtis Cullen is the Co-Founder and Managing Principal at Convolo Capital, a real estate investment firm that is focused on providing investors with opportunities to invest in Multi-Family value add real estate providing cash flow, tax benefits, and upside appreciation potential. Curtis served in the Army as both an Infantry Officer and Aviation Officer. Upon exiting the Army in 2018, he worked for a real estate data company. After talking with others in his network, he decided to enter into the apartment investing space and started Convolo Capital. Curtis received his MBA in Real Estate and Finance from the UCLA Anderson School of Management.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Why Curtis was drawn to real estate and his path to entering into apartment investing
- How Curtis approached building out his team at Convolo Capital
- The factors the Convolo team considered when selecting their geographic market
- Curtis’s short-term and long-term goals for the business
- The challenge of raising capital in the current macroeconomic environment
- The lessons Curtis learned during his time in the Army that he uses today
Curtis explains how, in the real estate business, there is a natural tension between growing the company and conservative underwriting. As he creates a plan to reach his short-term and long-term goals, he needs to ensure that Convolo will grow at a pace that will not disappoint his investors. Curtis also shares how the most important thing to consider when entering into the real estate business is finding the right partners who will create a well-rounded team. We enjoyed hearing about Curtis’s journey into real estate and how he has found success with his team at Convolo Capital. Congratulations on all you have achieved so far, Curtis!
Connect with Curtis:
If you found this episode valuable, please share it with a friend or colleague. If you are a Service Academy graduate and want to take your business to the next level, you can join our supportive community and get started today.
Subscribe and help out the show:
- Subscribe on Apple Podcasts
- Also available on Google Podcasts, Spotify & Stitcher
- Leave us a 5-star review!
Special thanks to Curtis for joining me this week. Until next time!
-Scott Mackes, USNA ’01